Wrinkle Relaxing Injections
Wrinkle Relaxing Injections
This is the most popular treatment by far in the UK for women and increasingly for men, using Botulinum toxin A, (Botox ®) to help relax deep and fine-line facial wrinkles. Many of us want to look good for our age and lines and wrinkles around the face develop with the passage of time, which can cause us to look more tired than we actually are or give us an “angry” appearance with deep frown lines between the brows and make us appear older.
The treatment known as Botox ® (botulinum toxin) has been formally approved for medical use to reduce the over activity of these facial muscles that result in the development of lines and wrinkles. This procedure can have remarkable effects in improving the appearance of the skin, increasing feelings of wellbeing and self-confidence.
A full medical and aesthetic consultation together with before and after photographs is carried out before administering wrinkle relaxing injections (botox ®). As the effects take up to 14 days to develop we ask that you return for assessment to ensure the best results. Should more Botox ® be required it would be added at this time at no additional cost. The effects can last about 4 months however most find that after about 2 years of regular use the effects last longer.
- A naturally purified protein
- It relaxes wrinkle causing muscles
- It creates a smoothed rejuvenated appearance
- Purified and sterile
Muscle relaxants have been used for years to treat muscular problems including eyelid spasm and facial spasms. The ageing face has wrinkles and furrows which may develop as a result of weakened collagen in the skin from sun exposure and gravity, or due to excess facial muscle action on the skin.
A popular and well known cosmetic treatment which reversibly relaxes muscles to smooth wrinkles and prevent deeper lines forming.
Ideal areas for treatment are those wrinkles caused by the muscles of facial expression, such as the deep creases between eyebrows (frown lines), forehead lines and crows feet.
Good results can be obtained after a single injection and the effects last between 3-4 months. The procedure is simple to perform and most patients find the injections only cause a mild sting lasting seconds. The actual injection process takes about 15 minutes.
Repeat treatments are usually required approximately every 3-4 months over a 12 month period. Clinical trials report that some patients who have had treatment over 12 months only require further treatments once or twice the following year. It is important to remember that it takes from 5-14 days for the treatment to work.
If they do occur they are:
- Mild to moderate
- Slight bruising from the injection
- Side effects may be bruising or bleeding at the injection site, headache and rarely ptosis (eyelid drooping), diplopia (double vision) and brow droop.
- Botox cosmetic is a technique sensitive treatment and you should not lose the ability to show expression.
- Botox ® has an excellent safety profile
- The doses of botulinum toxin used in aesthetic applications are very small and the risks of adverse effects related to its mechanism of action are consequently low
- To date 2.5 million users of Botox ® cosmetic treatments were given across 5 key European countries (UK, France, Italy, Spain and Germany) since the date of launch for each country.
- Botulinum toxin type A injections can be performed in a clinical setting with a high degree of safety and comfort.
- Botox ® should only be administered by trained health medical professionals with the appropriate qualifications and expertise.
- Botox ® should not be undertaken while pregnant or breastfeeding.
Typical cost for Botulinum Toxin Injection (Botox ®)
- 1 area from £150
- 2 areas from £200
- 3 areas from £250
20% Practice Plan discount does not apply to Facial Treatments.
It is important to discuss the results you want from your treatment as well as any precautions and risks from the procedure. A facial analysis will be performed to determine the appropriate areas for you.
Before deciding on any treatment we want you to be fully informed about all aspects of the facial cosmetic treatment you may be considering. A full medical and aesthetic consultation, together with before and after photographs, is carried out before administering anti wrinkle injections.
If you would like more information or to make an appointment for a consultation please call us on 01450 372187 or alternatively please complete our enquiry form online.
- Avoid alcohol for 24 hours prior to treatment to minimize the risk of bruising.
- Avoid anti- inflammatory / blood thinning medications ideally for a period of 2 weeks before treatment.
- Schedule your appointment at least 2 weeks before an important occasion or special event to allow any localized bruising to subside.
- If you have ever had a cold sore around the mouth or near the injection site inform your practitioner before treatment. They will probably prescribe you an anti viral medication to prevent an outbreak.
- Avoid straining, heavy lifting or vigorous exercise for 3-4 hours following treatment. It takes approximately 2 hours for botulinum toxin to bind with the nerve and we do not want to increase circulation to the area and wash away the Botox from where it was injected.
- Do not bend over or lie down for 3-4 hours following treatment.
- The treatment can take from 2-14 days to take full effect. We recommend that you contact us and arrange a review appointment 2 weeks after your treatment to discuss whether the desired outcome has been achieved.
- Try to avoid alcohol for 24 hours after treatment.
- Do not expose the area to excessive sunlight or heat until any initial swelling and redness has been resolved. Proper and frequent use of sunscreen is always important (SPF 30 or more) and wear a hat when outdoors.
- Avoid squeezing or massaging the area for several hours afterwards as this could subtly change the results.
- If you have swelling apply a cold compress to the area for 5-10 minutes every hour.
- Should you suffer any adverse side effects (as detailed on the patient consent form) please contact us immediately.